While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."WGL Holdings (NYSE: WGL) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.20%. WGL Holdings, Inc., through its subsidiaries, sells and delivers natural gas, and provides energy-related products and services. The company operates in four segments: Regulated Utility, Retail Energy-Marketing, Commercial Energy Systems, and Midstream Energy Services. The company has a P/E ratio of 118.80. The average volume for WGL Holdings has been 254,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. WGL Holdings has a market cap of $2.2 billion and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are up 3.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates WGL Holdings as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 35.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 31.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.70, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Despite the fact that WGL's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.57, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- WGL HOLDINGS INC's earnings per share declined by 31.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, WGL HOLDINGS INC reported lower earnings of $1.55 versus $2.71 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.45 versus $1.55).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Gas Utilities industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 31.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $89.84 million to $61.54 million.
- In its most recent trading session, WGL has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the stock's decline during the last year, it is still somewhat more expensive (in proportion to its earnings over the last year) than most other stocks in its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays offset this slight negative.
- You can view the full WGL Holdings Ratings Report.
- OHI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC has improved earnings per share by 32.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.46 versus $1.11 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.73 versus $1.46).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 46.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $38.12 million to $55.83 million.
- The gross profit margin for OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC is rather high; currently it is at 68.58%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 46.13% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- You can view the full Omega Healthcare Investors Ratings Report.
- PINNACLE WEST CAPITAL CORP's earnings per share declined by 36.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PINNACLE WEST CAPITAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.66 versus $3.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.68 versus $3.66).
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.85, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.25 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $249.16 million or 17.43% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, PINNACLE WEST CAPITAL CORP's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 18.51%.
- PNW, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 10.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.1%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Pinnacle West Capital Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.