NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Mondelez International Inc. (MDLZ) are up 1.05% to $38.39 on Friday as it reportedly separates its European cheese and grocery business into a standalone entity, according to Bloomberg.
The creation of this unit, which has about $1.4 billion in sales, could potentially lead to a sale or spin off, sources told Bloomberg.
TheStreet Ratings team rates MONDELEZ INTERNATIONAL INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate MONDELEZ INTERNATIONAL INC (MDLZ) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, MDLZ's share price has jumped by 31.72%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- MONDELEZ INTERNATIONAL INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MONDELEZ INTERNATIONAL INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.29 versus $0.87 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.72 versus $1.29).
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.60, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that MDLZ's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.54, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- 39.49% is the gross profit margin for MONDELEZ INTERNATIONAL INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of MDLZ's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 1.88% trails the industry average.
- MDLZ, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MDLZ Ratings Report