NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSM) shares are up 1.3% to $22.72 on Thursday following reports that the company has begun shipping microprocessors to Apple (AAPL) for use in its smartphone and tablet devices.
Some analysts were skeptical that Taiwan Semiconductor could deliver on such a large order after the company came to terms with Apple last year, displacing Samsung (SSNLF) which had previously been Apple's largest microprocessor supplier.
Analysts estimate that the Apple contract would account for 10% of Taiwan Semiconductor's total revenue in 2014. That number could jump to 15% next year as the companies agreed to work on more advanced chips in 2015.
Yesterday the company, the world's largest contract chip maker by revenue, also reported a 12% year over year rise in sales during the month of June.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO (TSM) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, increase in stock price during the past year, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- TSM's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- TSM's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.26 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, TSM has a quick ratio of 1.77, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO has improved earnings per share by 15.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.18 versus $1.10 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.46 versus $1.18).
- The gross profit margin for TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO is currently very high, coming in at 72.98%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 32.29% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TSM Ratings Report