Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 68 points (0.4%) at 16,974 as of Wednesday, July 9, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,593 issues advancing vs. 1,369 declining with 158 unchanged. The Metals & Mining industry as a whole closed the day up 1.6% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.5%. Top gainers within the Metals & Mining industry included Great Panther Silver ( GPL), up 6.2%, Augusta Resource ( AZC), up 2.9%, Entree Gold ( EGI), up 3.3%, Atlatsa Resources ( ATL), up 2.1% and Minco Gold ( MGH), up 5.7%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Entree Gold ( EGI) is one of the companies that pushed the Metals & Mining industry higher today. Entree Gold was up $0.01 (3.3%) to $0.31 on average volume. Throughout the day, 47,086 shares of Entree Gold exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 62,200 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $0.30-$0.32 after having opened the day at $0.32 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.30. Entree Gold has a market cap of $47.0 million and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are up 8.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on EGI go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Entree Gold Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- GREAT PANTHER SILVER LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, GREAT PANTHER SILVER LTD swung to a loss, reporting -$0.09 versus $0.03 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 147.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $1.28 million to -$0.60 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, GREAT PANTHER SILVER LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $1.22 million or 64.46% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The gross profit margin for GREAT PANTHER SILVER LTD is rather low; currently it is at 24.97%. Regardless of GPL's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GPL's net profit margin of -4.67% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.