Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Ultra Petroleum ( UPL) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Ultra Petroleum as such a stock due to the following factors:
- UPL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $62.4 million.
- UPL has traded 3.0 million shares today.
- UPL traded in a range 295.9% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.68.
- UPL traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 25 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 25 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in UPL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for UPL NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on UPL: Ultra Petroleum Corp., an independent oil and gas company, is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, development, production, and operation of oil and natural gas properties in the United States. UPL has a PE ratio of 14.1. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Ultra Petroleum a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold. The average volume for Ultra Petroleum has been 2.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Ultra has a market cap of $4.5 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.42 and a short float of 18.6% with 12.20 days to cover. Shares are up 35.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Ultra Petroleum as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's earnings per share has not been good. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 44.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ULTRA PETROLEUM CORP is currently very high, coming in at 73.86%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 31.17% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- ULTRA PETROLEUM CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, ULTRA PETROLEUM CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $1.54 versus -$14.24 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.96 versus $1.54).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 519.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $16.43 million to $101.72 million.
- You can view the full Ultra Petroleum Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.