Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Consumer Durables industry as a whole closed the day up 0.3% versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Laggards within the Consumer Durables industry included Global-Tech Advanced Innovations ( GAI), down 3.7%, Koss ( KOSS), down 1.6%, Elecsys ( ESYS), down 3.6%, Norcraft Companies ( NCFT), down 1.7% and Flexsteel Industries ( FLXS), down 2.4%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today: Teledyne Technologies ( TDY) is one of the companies that pushed the Consumer Durables industry lower today. Teledyne Technologies was down $1.64 (1.7%) to $96.33 on light volume. Throughout the day, 61,138 shares of Teledyne Technologies exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 137,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $96.19-$97.96 after having opened the day at $97.56 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $97.97. Teledyne Technologies Incorporated manufactures and sells aerospace and defense products primarily in the United States and Canada. The company operates through four segments: Instrumentation, Digital Imaging, Aerospace and Defense Electronics, and Engineered Systems. Teledyne Technologies has a market cap of $3.6 billion and is part of the technology sector. Shares are up 6.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are 3 analysts who rate Teledyne Technologies a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Teledyne Technologies as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on TDY go as follows:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 28.06% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- TELEDYNE TECHNOLOGIES INC has improved earnings per share by 12.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, TELEDYNE TECHNOLOGIES INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.87 versus $4.33 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.14 versus $4.87).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.37, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.14, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- 42.72% is the gross profit margin for TELEDYNE TECHNOLOGIES INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 7.98% is above that of the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Household Durables industry average. The net income increased by 41.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $3.12 million to $4.42 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 17.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- FLXS has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, FLXS has a quick ratio of 1.67, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 38.09% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 34.35% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, FLXS should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.