Shareholders of Cash America International, Inc. (CSH) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $50 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.50 bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but CSH shares would have to climb 12.3% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 15.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Cash America International, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for CSH below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.3% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing CSH's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Cash America International, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $44.40) to be 34%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the CSH Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 606,666 contracts, with call volume at 1.30M, for a put:call ratio of 0.47 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Splunk Shares Higher as J.P. Morgan Upgrades Software Firm to Overweight
Analyst Mark Murphy has been bullish on Splunk's fundamentals for at least three quarters, but concern about valuation kept the firm neutral. After a cash-flow guide-down, the `Street consensus [is] largely derisked.'
Cracker Barrel Shares Climb on Earnings Beat, Positive Outlook
Same-restaurant sales rose 3.8% in the quarter, and expectations for fiscal 2020 are for growth of 2% to 3%.
Burlington and TJX Shares Higher After Analyst Upgrade; Other Retailers Lower
While tariffs have hit traditional retailers hard, they have provided a big opportunity for Burlington, which has seen market-share gains as shoppers seek out less expensive alternatives, according to UBS.