- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Household Durables industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 110.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$2.09 million to -$4.41 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Household Durables industry and the overall market, STANLEY FURNITURE CO INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for STANLEY FURNITURE CO INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 11.80%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -20.14% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 35.11%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 106.66% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- STANLEY FURNITURE CO INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, STANLEY FURNITURE CO INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.89 versus $2.09 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.66 versus -$0.89).
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 143 points (0.9%) at 16,970 as of Tuesday, July 1, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,189 issues advancing vs. 849 declining with 140 unchanged. The Consumer Durables industry as a whole closed the day up 1.6% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.8%. Top gainers within the Consumer Durables industry included Entertainment Gaming Asia ( EGT), up 3.9%, Cobra Electronics ( COBR), up 7.3%, Stanley Furniture ( STLY), up 2.6%, Marine Products ( MPX), up 5.8% and EveryWare Global ( EVRY), up 16.9%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Stanley Furniture ( STLY) is one of the companies that pushed the Consumer Durables industry higher today. Stanley Furniture was up $0.07 (2.6%) to $2.75 on average volume. Throughout the day, 39,180 shares of Stanley Furniture exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 46,200 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $2.68-$2.81 after having opened the day at $2.68 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $2.68. Stanley Furniture Company, Inc. designs, manufactures, and imports wood furniture for the residential market in the United States. Stanley Furniture has a market cap of $38.7 million and is part of the consumer goods sector. Shares are down 30.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Stanley Furniture a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Stanley Furniture as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on STLY go as follows: