Why General Motors (GM) Stock Is Gaining Today

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- General Motors (GM) shares are climbing in early market trading, up 1.7% to $36.92, after posting June sales numbers well ahead of analysts expectations.

The beleaguered U.S. automaker sold 267,461 vehicles in June, a 1% jump from the June 2013 total, while retail and fleet sales were up 1% and 2% respectively. Analysts were expecting a 6.3% decline in sales.

This news comes a day after the company announced that it was recalling 8.4 million vehicles and would be taking a $1.2 billion second quarter charge in relation to the recalls.

Must ReadWarren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks

TheStreet Ratings team rates GENERAL MOTORS CO as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:

"We rate GENERAL MOTORS CO (GM) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."

If you liked this article you might like

Irma and Harvey Busted Algos; Probably Done Deals Under Trump: Best of Cramer

Your Guide to Making a Lot of Money on the Driverless Car Boom

How to Live Just Like Billionaire Warren Buffett