Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Rayonier (NYSE: RYN) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.10%. Rayonier, Inc. engages in the sale and development of real estate and timberland management, as well as in the production and sale of cellulose fibers in the United States, New Zealand, and Australia. The company has a P/E ratio of 22.83. The average volume for Rayonier has been 719,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Rayonier has a market cap of $6.0 billion and is part of the materials & construction industry. Shares are up 13.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Rayonier as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $99.27 million or 10.72% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, RAYONIER INC's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 30.28%.
- RYN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, RAYONIER INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- RAYONIER INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RAYONIER INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.54 versus $2.11 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 24.0% in earnings ($1.93 versus $2.54).
- The share price of RAYONIER INC has not done very well: it is down 9.66% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- You can view the full Rayonier Ratings Report.
- BIOMED REALTY TRUST INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, BIOMED REALTY TRUST INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.20 versus $0.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.27 versus $0.20).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $77.74 million or 28.93% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, BIOMED REALTY TRUST INC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 30.28%.
- You can view the full BioMed Realty Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 25.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 69.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $156.60 million to $265.39 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 153.06% to $459.16 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, ONEOK PARTNERS -LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 17.51%.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full ONEOK Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.