Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Manitowoc ( MTW) as a post-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Manitowoc as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MTW has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $64.2 million.
- MTW is up 2.7% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MTW with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MTW NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MTW: The Manitowoc Company, Inc. designs, manufactures, and sells cranes and related products, and foodservice equipment worldwide. It operates in two segments, Cranes and Related Products, and Foodservice Equipment. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.3%. MTW has a PE ratio of 28.1. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Manitowoc a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold. The average volume for Manitowoc has been 2.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Manitowoc has a market cap of $4.0 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and industrial industry. The stock has a beta of 3.75 and a short float of 7.6% with 4.09 days to cover. Shares are up 25.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Manitowoc as a buy. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, MTW's share price has jumped by 53.05%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- MANITOWOC CO has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MANITOWOC CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.14 versus $0.77 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.65 versus $1.14).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 6.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.0%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for MANITOWOC CO is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 28.41%. Regardless of MTW's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -1.03% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Machinery industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MANITOWOC CO has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Manitowoc Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.