How To YieldBoost Airgas To 9.4% Using Options

Shareholders of Airgas Inc. (ARG) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $110 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.55 bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $110 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but ARG shares would have to climb 1% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 3.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Conducting Buybacks »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Airgas Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for ARG below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2% annualized dividend yield.

ARG+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing ARG's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $110 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $110 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $110. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Airgas Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $108.81) to be 17%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the ARG Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Complying With GDPR Could Be Costly for Facebook, Google and Other Tech Giants

Complying With GDPR Could Be Costly for Facebook, Google and Other Tech Giants

North Korea, Apple, GPDR and Gap - 5 Things You Must Know

North Korea, Apple, GPDR and Gap - 5 Things You Must Know

Market Can't Handle the Wild Ride: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Thursday 5/24/18)

Market Can't Handle the Wild Ride: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Thursday 5/24/18)

Replay: Jim Cramer on North Korea, Oil Prices, Apple and Carnival Corporation

Replay: Jim Cramer on North Korea, Oil Prices, Apple and Carnival Corporation