NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Comcast (CMCSA) shares spiked, up 1.1% to $53.22, following the U.S. Supreme Court ruling against broadcast television Internet service Aereo that could put the company out of business and protect the content of broadcast networks.
The Supreme Court ruled against Aereo by a 6-3 margin, stating that the company has to pay licensing fees if it wants to use broadcast networks content.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Aereo was launched last year and charged subscribers $8 a month to receive broadcast network programs on their mobile devices.
Justice Stephen Breyer, who wrote the majority decision in the case, stressed that the ruling does not "discourage the emergence or use of different kinds of technologies."
TheStreet Ratings team rates COMCAST CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate COMCAST CORP (CMCSA) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 31.48% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 31.65% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CMCSA should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- COMCAST CORP has improved earnings per share by 31.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, COMCAST CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.56 versus $2.29 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.81 versus $2.56).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Media industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 30.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1,437.00 million to $1,871.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 14.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CMCSA Ratings Report