Shareholders of T Rowe Price Group Inc. (TROW - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $85 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.50 bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $85 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but TROW shares would have to climb 1.6% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 4.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of T Rowe Price Group Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for TROW below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.1% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing TROW's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $85 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $85 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $85. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for T Rowe Price Group Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $83.67) to be 19%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the TROW Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 684,901 contracts, with call volume at 1.62M, for a put:call ratio of 0.42 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Time to Netflix and Chill? Jim Cramer on Netflix Earnings and Marc Benioff
Jim Cramer weighs in on Netflix's earnings, Marc Benioff's new book and the markets.
Stocks Rise on Tentative Brexit Deal, IBM's Drop Limits Dow's Gains
Stocks are rising after U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson says Britain has reached a Brexit agreement with the European Union. IBM's revenue miss tempered gains in the Dow.
Morgan Stanley Tops Q3 Earnings Forecast as Bond Trading Revenues Surge
Morgan Stanley posted stronger-than-expected third quarter earnings Thursday as fixed income revenues surged despite a slow summer of trading.
KeyCorp Shares Higher After Third-Quarter Adjusted Profit Beats Estimates
The latest earnings from continuing operations were 48 cents, excluding a dime a share related to a previously disclosed loss due to fraud. FactSet's consensus was 45 cents.