- The gross profit margin for VIRTUALSCOPICS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.24%. Regardless of VSCP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VSCP's net profit margin of -27.44% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry and the overall market, VIRTUALSCOPICS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- VSCP, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 18.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.1%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry average. The net income increased by 42.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.11 million to -$0.65 million.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Health Care sector as a whole closed the day down 0.1% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.1%. Laggards within the Health Care sector included ImmuCell ( ICCC), down 4.1%, SunLink Health Systems ( SSY), down 5.5%, Reliv' International ( RELV), down 4.9%, Electromed ( ELMD), down 3.6% and VirtualScopics ( VSCP), down 7.4%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today: VirtualScopics ( VSCP) is one of the companies that pushed the Health Care sector lower today. VirtualScopics was down $0.40 (7.4%) to $5.00 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 19,141 shares of VirtualScopics exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 5,800 shares. The stock ranged in price between $4.79-$5.40 after having opened the day at $5.40 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $5.40. VirtualScopics, Inc. provides imaging solutions for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries. VirtualScopics has a market cap of $16.5 million and is part of the health services industry. Shares are up 56.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates VirtualScopics a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates VirtualScopics as a sell. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been poor profit margins. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on VSCP go as follows: