Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Bank of America Corp., looking at the dividend history chart for BAC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.3% annualized dividend yield.


Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the February 2015 expiration, for shareholders of Bank of America Corp. ( BAC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.3% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $17 strike and collecting the premium based on the 60 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 5.8% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 6.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BAC shares would have to climb 9.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

Top YieldBoost BAC Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Bank of America Corp., highlighting in green where the $14 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $17 strike in red:

If you liked this article you might like

How to Get Rich Using Warren Buffett's Favorite Stock Market Indicators

How to Live Just Like Billionaire Warren Buffett

Why Hurricanes Won't Force the Fed to Ditch a December Rate Hike

How to Make a Deal Like Billionaire Investor Warren Buffett

How to Invest Like Billionaire Warren Buffett