One Put, One Call Option To Know About For Travelers Companies

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Travelers Companies (TRV). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the August expiration for TRV.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $92.50 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 95 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1% return against the $92.50 commitment, or a 6.9% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost TRV Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to TRV's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Travelers Companies Inc sees its shares fall 2.5% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $91.55 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 95 cents from $92.50), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 6.9% annualized rate of return.

Worth considering, is that the annualized 6.9% figure actually exceeds the 2.3% annualized dividend paid by Travelers Companies Inc by 4.6%, based on the current share price of $94.86. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to lose 2.47% to reach the $92.50 strike price.

Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Travelers Companies Inc , looking at the dividend history chart for TRV below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.3% annualized dividend yield.

TRV+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the August expiration, for shareholders of Travelers Companies Inc ( TRV) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.3% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $95 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.85 bid, annualizes to an additional 13.2% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 15.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $95 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but TRV shares would have to climb 0.2% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 2.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost TRV Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Travelers Companies Inc , highlighting in green where the $92.50 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $95 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Travelers Companies Inc (considering the last 251 trading day TRV historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $94.86) to be 13%.

More from Stocks

Tech Stocks Have You Baffled? Educate Yourself in Some Portfolio Diversification

Tech Stocks Have You Baffled? Educate Yourself in Some Portfolio Diversification

Alphabet Shares Rise on Earnings, Revenue Beat But Some Concerns Remain

Alphabet Shares Rise on Earnings, Revenue Beat But Some Concerns Remain

Semiconductor Stocks Get Smashed Again as Earnings Weakness Continues
Dow and Nasdaq Finish Lower as 10-Year Treasury Yield Hovers Near 3%

Dow and Nasdaq Finish Lower as 10-Year Treasury Yield Hovers Near 3%

Video: Jim Cramer on Trade Tariffs, Rising Rates, Kimberly Clark and Hasbro

Video: Jim Cramer on Trade Tariffs, Rising Rates, Kimberly Clark and Hasbro