Shareholders of Western Refining (WNR) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2016 covered call at the $55 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.30 bid, which annualizes to an additional 3.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $55 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but WNR shares would have to advance 30.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 36.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Western Refining Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for WNR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.5% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing WNR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $55 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 covered call at the $55 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $55. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Western Refining Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $41.72) to be 32%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the WNR Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Investors Should Be Aware of These 'Worrisome Paradigm Shifts' In the Market
Doug Kass wrote about a handful of paradigm shifts in the market that are worrying him in the market.
Nvidia's Self-Driving Strategy Picks Up Speed as It Lands Volvo Partnership
Nvidia on Tuesday announced a massive autonomous driving partnership with Volvo, one of the world's largest trucking manufacturers.
Abercrombie & Fitch Could Bounce in the Short Run, but Don't Get Too Excited
Without a new base pattern I would not anticipate a bounce to go very far or to last very long.