Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Consumer Goods sector as a whole closed the day down 0.1% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.2%. Laggards within the Consumer Goods sector included Seneca Foods ( SENEB), down 2.6%, Bridgford Foods ( BRID), down 4.4%, Truett-Hurst Inc Class A ( THST), down 2.7%, China Shengda Packaging Group ( CPGI), down 7.4% and Crumbs Bake Shop ( CRMB), down 6.5%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today: Crumbs Bake Shop ( CRMB) is one of the companies that pushed the Consumer Goods sector lower today. Crumbs Bake Shop was down $0.02 (6.5%) to $0.29 on light volume. Throughout the day, 52,622 shares of Crumbs Bake Shop exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 124,300 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.29-$0.32 after having opened the day at $0.31 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.31. Crumbs Bake Shop, Inc. sells various cupcakes, cakes, cookies, and other baked goods under the trade name of Crumbs Bake Shop. It also sells hot and cold beverages. The company offers its products through company-operated stores, as well as through its Website crumbs.com. Crumbs Bake Shop has a market cap of $4.3 million and is part of the food & beverage industry. Shares are down 57.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Crumbs Bake Shop as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on CRMB go as follows:
- CRUMBS BAKE SHOP INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, CRUMBS BAKE SHOP INC reported poor results of -$1.31 versus -$0.91 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Food & Staples Retailing industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 92.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$1.98 million to -$3.80 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$3.63 million or 156.85% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 77.87%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 94.11% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- CRMB, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 5.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 24.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- CPGI's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.22 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.16, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Containers & Packaging industry and the overall market, CHINA SHENGDA PACKAGING GP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for CHINA SHENGDA PACKAGING GP is rather low; currently it is at 19.13%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.66% trails that of the industry average.