- PATR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 17.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- PATR's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.30 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.71 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Road & Rail industry and the overall market, PATRIOT TRANSN HOLDING INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- PATRIOT TRANSN HOLDING INC's earnings per share declined by 25.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PATRIOT TRANSN HOLDING INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.60 versus $0.81 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 30.3% in earnings ($1.12 versus $1.60).
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 32 points (0.2%) at 16,953 as of Friday, June 20, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,583 issues advancing vs. 1,400 declining with 164 unchanged. The Transportation industry as a whole closed the day up 0.8% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.2%. Top gainers within the Transportation industry included Globus Maritime ( GLBS), up 9.2%, Radiant Logistics ( RLGT), up 1.6%, Patriot Transportation Holdings ( PATR), up 2.3%, Covenant Transportation Group ( CVTI), up 2.3% and P AM Transportation ( PTSI), up 3.8%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Patriot Transportation Holdings ( PATR) is one of the companies that pushed the Transportation industry higher today. Patriot Transportation Holdings was up $0.75 (2.3%) to $33.99 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 18,741 shares of Patriot Transportation Holdings exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 11,500 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $33.00-$33.99 after having opened the day at $33.45 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $33.24. Patriot Transportation Holding, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is engaged in the transportation and real estate businesses in the United States. It operates in three segments: Transportation, Mining Royalty Land, and Developed Property Rentals. Patriot Transportation Holdings has a market cap of $319.1 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are down 19.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Patriot Transportation Holdings a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Patriot Transportation Holdings as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on PATR go as follows: