While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Healthcare Realty (NYSE: HR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.80%. Healthcare Realty Trust Incorporated is an independent real estate investment trust. The firm invests in real estate markets of the United States. The average volume for Healthcare Realty has been 535,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Healthcare Realty has a market cap of $2.4 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 17.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Healthcare Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- HR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 485.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.00 million to $3.85 million.
- In its most recent trading session, HR has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors.
- The gross profit margin for HEALTHCARE REALTY TRUST INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 27.88%. Regardless of HR's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HR's net profit margin of 4.18% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, HEALTHCARE REALTY TRUST INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Healthcare Realty Ratings Report.
- NYMT's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 65.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, NEW YORK MORTGAGE TRUST INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $10.58 million or 10.97% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- NEW YORK MORTGAGE TRUST INC's earnings per share declined by 6.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEW YORK MORTGAGE TRUST INC reported lower earnings of $1.11 versus $1.25 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 2.7% in earnings ($1.08 versus $1.11).
- You can view the full New York Mortgage Ratings Report.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, CLIFFS NATURAL RESOURCES INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- CLF, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 4.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 17.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$82.00 million or 222.83% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 165.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $107.00 million to -$70.30 million.
- You can view the full Cliffs Natural Resources Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.