International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE: IFF), a leading global creator of flavors and fragrances for consumer products, announced the publication of its latest annual sustainability report, Lasting Change. The report details the Company’s continuing commitment to the Triple Bottom Line, with its strategic initiatives that address corporate, social and environmental responsibility, throughout the organization for the calendar year 2013. “Our vision is to create unique scent and taste experiences people love and we are committed to doing that in a sustainable manner,” said Doug Tough, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “Our sustainability efforts are helping us make better business decisions that support a better world – environmentally, socially and economically.” Nicolas Mirzayantz, Group President, Fragrances and the Company’s Executive Sustainability Champion, said “Sustainability at IFF is becoming more deeply embedded in both the way we conduct our business and also in our personal behaviors. Sustainability is an essential expression of who we are and a key component of our long-term business strategy. We see this as both an opportunity and a responsibility we take very seriously.” The new report includes detailed information about IFF’s 2013 sustainability performance and describes the progress made in the Company’s four strategic sustainability pillars: Our Products, Our Impact, Our Sources and Our People. Below are a few highlights:
- In 2012, IFF adopted the 12 Principles of Green Chemistry as an important differentiator in product design and development, and during 2013 our scientists and engineers embraced the use of green chemistry to embed sustainability in the earliest stages of molecule development.
- The Company has made substantial progress to reduce carbon emissions, energy, waste and water use, exceeding our goals in reducing waste and water use.
- Began the installation of the largest photovoltaic solar installation in the flavors and fragrances industry at our Hazlet, NJ site, to support the Company’s commitment to clean, renewable energy.
- Advanced our Health & Wellness portfolio by expanding our umbrella brand, FlavorFit™.
- Developed and launched our first Natural Ethics™ product: Bourbon vanilla, made with fully traceable vanilla beans from our partner cooperatives in Madagascar, who adhere to strict sustainability guidelines.
IFF has invested in new facilities in Asia and the Middle East over the past few years. In keeping with the Company’s commitment to minimize its impact on the environment, buildings and manufacturing processes have been designed and constructed based on the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) principles with an emphasis on energy efficiency, low water consumption, minimal waste, use of building materials with high recycled content and the installation of energy metering and trending systems to measure performance and consumption.The report was prepared using the G3.1 guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the global standard for such reporting, and has obtained an Application Level Check of B+. Digital and downloadable versions of the full report and the GRI Content Index are available for viewing at the Company’s web site at www.iff.com/company/sustainability.aspx About IFF International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE: IFF) is a leading global creator of flavors and fragrances used in a wide variety of consumer products. Consumers experience these unique scents and tastes in fine fragrances and beauty care, detergents and household goods, as well as beverages, sweet goods and food products. The Company leverages its competitive advantages of consumer insight, research and development, creative expertise, and customer intimacy to provide customers with innovative and differentiated product offerings. A member of the S&P 500 Index, IFF has more than 6,000 employees working in 31 countries worldwide. For more information, please visit our website at www.iff.com.