- SANW's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 93.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Food Products industry. The net income increased by 78.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.87 million to -$0.40 million.
- S&W SEED CO reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, S&W SEED CO swung to a loss, reporting -$0.26 versus $0.07 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.06 versus -$0.26).
- The gross profit margin for S&W SEED CO is rather low; currently it is at 20.27%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SANW's net profit margin of -4.89% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$1.11 million or 190.54% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Food & Beverage industry as a whole closed the day down 0.3% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.9%. Laggards within the Food & Beverage industry included Seneca Foods ( SENEB), down 4.0%, Crumbs Bake Shop ( CRMB), down 2.9%, Agria ( GRO), down 2.1%, S&W Seed Company ( SANW), down 2.5% and Castle Brands ( ROX), down 2.2%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today: S&W Seed Company ( SANW) is one of the companies that pushed the Food & Beverage industry lower today. S&W Seed Company was down $0.16 (2.5%) to $6.37 on average volume. Throughout the day, 57,386 shares of S&W Seed Company exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 68,700 shares. The stock ranged in price between $6.37-$6.82 after having opened the day at $6.50 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $6.53. S&W Seed Company is engaged in breeding, growing, processing, and selling agricultural commodities. The company primarily offers alfalfa seeds, as well as wheat and small grains. The company also offers seed cleaning and processing services for other seed manufacturers. S&W Seed Company has a market cap of $73.6 million and is part of the consumer goods sector. Shares are down 6.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are 6 analysts who rate S&W Seed Company a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates S&W Seed Company as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including weak operating cash flow, poor profit margins and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on SANW go as follows: