NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of SunPower Corp. (SPWR) are up 2.36% to $34.65 on Thursday after the company announced on Wednesday it closed $400 million in debt, selling $250 million of the convertible debentures to Total Energies Nouvelles Activities USA, a subsidiary of Total S.A. (TOT), Bloomberg reported.
The company, which operates in two business segments: the utility and power plants segment, and the residential and commercial segment, will use proceeds from the sale to further reduce its debt.
The debentures are convertible into common shares at any time at an initial rate of 20.51 shares for every $1,000 of debt, Bloomberg reported.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates SUNPOWER CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate SUNPOWER CORP (SPWR) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- SPWR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 191.30% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 85.27% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, SPWR should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- SUNPOWER CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SUNPOWER CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $0.57 versus -$3.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.33 versus $0.57).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 218.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$54.70 million to $65.04 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, SUNPOWER CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SPWR Ratings Report