Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified AmeriGas Partners ( APU) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified AmeriGas Partners as such a stock due to the following factors:
- APU has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $11.3 million.
- APU traded 103,595 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:04 AM, representing 41.6% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in APU with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for APU NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on APU: AmeriGas Partners, L.P. operates as a retail and wholesale distributor of propane gas, and related equipment and supplies in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 7.3%. APU has a PE ratio of 19.4. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate AmeriGas Partners a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold. The average volume for AmeriGas Partners has been 293,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. AmeriGas has a market cap of $4.5 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 0.22 and a short float of 1.8% with 3.61 days to cover. Shares are up 8.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates AmeriGas Partners as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, robust revenue growth, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP has improved earnings per share by 9.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP turned its bottom line around by earning $1.43 versus -$0.05 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.92 versus $1.43).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 36.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 27.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Gas Utilities industry and the overall market, AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 40.64% is the gross profit margin for AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of APU's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, APU's net profit margin of 16.07% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The stock price has risen over the past year, but, despite its earnings growth and some other positive factors, it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full AmeriGas Partners Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.