Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices are trading down today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading down 101.30 points (-0.6%) at 16,845 as of Wednesday, June 11, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 997 issues advancing vs. 1,977 declining with 159 unchanged. The Materials & Construction industry as a whole closed the day down 1.0% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.3%. Top gainers within the Materials & Construction industry included China Recycling Energy ( CREG), up 7.5%, MagneGas ( MNGA), up 5.3% and Vertex Energy ( VTNR), up 3.1%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Vertex Energy ( VTNR) is one of the companies that pushed the Materials & Construction industry higher today. Vertex Energy was up $0.29 (3.1%) to $9.81 on average volume. Throughout the day, 443,074 shares of Vertex Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 531,100 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $9.29-$9.99 after having opened the day at $9.53 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $9.52. Vertex Energy has a market cap of $210.1 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are up 184.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on VTNR go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Vertex Energy Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, CREG's share price has jumped by 185.29%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for CHINA RECYCLING ENERGY CORP is currently very high, coming in at 99.81%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 48.17% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.78, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.89 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Services & Supplies industry. The net income has decreased by 5.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $3.30 million to $3.12 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$17.75 million or 3186.78% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.