Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Two out of the three major indices are trading lower today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading down 6.20 points (0.0%) at 16,937 as of Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 968 issues advancing vs. 2,021 declining with 151 unchanged. The Materials & Construction industry as a whole was unchanged today versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.1%. Top gainers within the Materials & Construction industry included Avalon Holdings ( AWX), up 3.9%, Skyline ( SKY), up 4.0%, Guanwei Recycling ( GPRC), up 3.5%, Perma-Fix Environmental Services ( PESI), up 1.6% and Vertex Energy ( VTNR), up 1.9%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Vertex Energy ( VTNR) is one of the companies that pushed the Materials & Construction industry higher today. Vertex Energy was up $0.18 (1.9%) to $9.51 on light volume. Throughout the day, 347,719 shares of Vertex Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 480,500 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $9.21-$9.58 after having opened the day at $9.39 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $9.33. Vertex Energy has a market cap of $213.9 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are up 178.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on VTNR go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Vertex Energy Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Services & Supplies industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 36.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$2.91 million to -$3.97 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Services & Supplies industry and the overall market, PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS is currently extremely low, coming in at 10.92%. Regardless of PESI's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PESI's net profit margin of -37.64% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS's earnings per share declined by 32.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS reported poor results of -$3.03 versus -$0.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.32 versus -$3.03).
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 3.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 46.8%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- GPRC has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 7.54, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- GPRC, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 3.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 11.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for GUANWEI RECYCLING CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 11.25%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 5.29% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$2.67 million or 155.99% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.