Atmel also announced it had grown its SMART portfolio with new SmartConnect SAM W23 modules, which allow Wi-Fi connectivity, high performance and low power technology for Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
The stock rose more than 3.5% to its new one-year high. More than 9.1 million shares changed hands, compared to its average volume of 4,557,170.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates ATMEL CORP as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ATMEL CORP (ATML) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, revenue growth and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has experienced relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 104.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$47.67 million to $2.17 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- ATMEL CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ATMEL CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.05 versus $0.07 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.45 versus -$0.05).
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. We feel that the combination of its price rise over the last year and its current price-to-earnings ratio relative to its industry tend to reduce its upside potential.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, ATMEL CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ATML Ratings Report