Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Two out of the three major indices traded up today One out of the three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 14 points (0.1%) at 16,938 as of Monday, June 9, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,888 issues advancing vs. 1,089 declining with 160 unchanged. The Electronics industry as a whole closed the day up 0.9% versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Top gainers within the Electronics industry included Vicon Industries ( VII), up 2.5%, LGL Group ( LGL), up 7.1%, Advanced Photonix ( API), up 3.6%, Bel Fuse ( BELFA), up 3.2% and Planar Systems ( PLNR), up 3.1%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Bel Fuse ( BELFA) is one of the companies that pushed the Electronics industry higher today. Bel Fuse was up $0.84 (3.2%) to $26.93 on light volume. Throughout the day, 726 shares of Bel Fuse exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 2,300 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $26.70-$27.10 after having opened the day at $27.10 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $26.09. Bel Fuse has a market cap of $55.1 million and is part of the technology sector. Shares are up 30.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on BELFA go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Bel Fuse Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- LGL GROUP INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, LGL GROUP INC reported poor results of -$3.16 versus -$0.51 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 874.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.08 million to -$0.81 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, LGL GROUP INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for LGL GROUP INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.86%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -13.19% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The share price of LGL GROUP INC has not done very well: it is down 24.06% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.