MCD+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the September expiration, for shareholders of McDonald's Corp ( MCD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.2% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $105 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.25 bid, annualizes to an additional 4.4% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $105 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MCD shares would have to climb 3.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 4.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MCD Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for McDonald's Corp, highlighting in green where the $97.50 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $105 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for McDonald's Corp (considering the last 251 trading day MCD historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $101.50) to be 11%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 783,719 contracts, with call volume at 1.52M, for a put:call ratio of 0.52 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

If you liked this article you might like

How to Live Just Like Billionaire Warren Buffett

Video: 5 Insane McDonald's Meals You Can Only Try Abroad

Crazy Weak U.S. Dollar Will Make These 10 Companies Huge Winners

How Lethal Is That Happy Meal? Inside the Kids' Menus at McDonald's and More

How to Travel in Style Exactly Like Billionaire Warren Buffett