In a feature article Barron's said that Office Depot shares could increase over 50% as the office supply retailer's cost-saving initiatives become more apparent to investor. The article points to the first quarter where the company's reduced cost base helped it beat low expectations from analysts and raise its guidance.
Must read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates OFFICE DEPOT INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate OFFICE DEPOT INC (ODP) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- ODP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 60.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to -$74.00 million or 21.22% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -15.13%.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for OFFICE DEPOT INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 25.08%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -2.50% trails that of the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1537.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$6.66 million to -$109.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ODP Ratings Report