- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Services & Supplies industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 247.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$2.05 million to -$7.13 million.
- The gross profit margin for STANDARD REGISTER CO is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 31.35%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -3.11% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$1.11 million or 122.79% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- STANDARD REGISTER CO has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, STANDARD REGISTER CO continued to lose money by earning -$1.65 versus -$4.90 in the prior year.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, SR's share price has jumped by 70.49%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in SR do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 67 points (0.4%) at 16,903 as of Friday, June 6, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,246 issues advancing vs. 764 declining with 128 unchanged. The Consumer Non-Durables industry as a whole closed the day up 0.9% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.3%. Top gainers within the Consumer Non-Durables industry included China Shengda Packaging Group ( CPGI), up 6.6%, Forward Industries ( FORD), up 3.9%, Fuwei Films (Holdings ( FFHL), up 2.5%, Standard Register ( SR), up 4.9% and Ever-Glory International Group ( EVK), up 6.9%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Standard Register ( SR) is one of the companies that pushed the Consumer Non-Durables industry higher today. Standard Register was up $0.24 (4.9%) to $5.17 on light volume. Throughout the day, 6,491 shares of Standard Register exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 30,000 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $5.01-$5.48 after having opened the day at $5.01 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $4.93. The Standard Register Company is engaged in the management and execution of critical communications in the United States. Standard Register has a market cap of $39.6 million and is part of the technology sector. Shares are down 28.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Standard Register a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Standard Register as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on SR go as follows: