Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 100 points (0.6%) at 16,838 as of Thursday, June 5, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,349 issues advancing vs. 623 declining with 153 unchanged. The Diversified Services industry as a whole closed the day up 1.5% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.6%. Top gainers within the Diversified Services industry included Learning Tree International ( LTRE), up 2.8%, Spar Group ( SGRP), up 5.5%, NV5 Holdings ( NVEE), up 1.9%, UniTek Global Services ( UNTK), up 16.0% and China Yida ( CNYD), up 3.4%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: NV5 Holdings ( NVEE) is one of the companies that pushed the Diversified Services industry higher today. NV5 Holdings was up $0.19 (1.9%) to $10.04 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 9,492 shares of NV5 Holdings exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 2,300 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $9.88-$10.04 after having opened the day at $9.88 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $9.85. NV5 Holdings has a market cap of $56.4 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are up 21.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on NVEE go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: NV5 Holdings Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 134.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1.33 million to $3.11 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 14.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.35, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, SGRP has a quick ratio of 1.57, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- SPAR GROUP INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SPAR GROUP INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.15 versus $0.13 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 80.0% in earnings ($0.03 versus $0.15).
- LTRE has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 7.28% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Diversified Consumer Services industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 151.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.42 million to $0.73 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Consumer Services industry and the overall market, LEARNING TREE INTL INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- LTRE, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.8%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for LEARNING TREE INTL INC is rather high; currently it is at 50.32%. Regardless of LTRE's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 2.27% trails the industry average.