Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT) today announced unprecedented growth momentum for Element Hotels, fueled by strong demand for the stylish, eco-wise brand, with its portfolio set to double in the next two years. On track to open its 15 th hotel later this year, Element has another 15 hotels slated to open by the end of 2017. With four new hotels opening in 2014, Element will expand outside of North America for the first time ever with the opening of Element Frankfurt Airport in September. In 2015, the launch of Element Suzhou Science and Technology Town will mark another milestone for Starwood, making China the only market outside of the United States where Starwood will operate all nine of its lifestyle brands. Additionally, rising demand for Element has led to an increase in dual-branded hotel developments featuring Starwood’s Aloft and Element brands in major metropolitan markets. Starwood recently signed deals to open Aloft and Element Boston Waterfront in 2016, directly across the street from the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center in the South Boston Waterfront District. In 2017, Starwood will open an Aloft and Element dual-hotel development in the historic Tobacco Dock section of East London, marking the Element brand’s debut in the United Kingdom. “We’re seeing tremendous growth momentum for our trailblazing Element brand and for the first time ever, we’re expanding outside of North America, bringing whole, sustainable living to the European and Chinese markets,” said Brian McGuinness, Senior Vice President of Specialty Select Brands for Starwood. “Recognized as an industry leader in the eco-space, Element consistently outperforms its competitive set and has won over the hearts and minds of travelers with its emphasis on wellness and sustainability, as reflected by the brand’s outstanding guest experience scores.” “Element is rapidly gaining momentum as financing returns to the market and conditions for new hotel development continue to improve,” said Allison Reid, Senior Vice President of North America Development, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. “There is really nothing in the market like Element, and travelers have embraced the brand’s fresh perspective on extended stay. We anticipate the recent deal signings in London and Boston will continue to fuel growth for the brand in both urban and suburban markets around the world.”
New Element hotels slated to open in the next two years include:
- Element Harrison – (Newark, NJ)—August 2014—Just minutes from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), Element Harrison is adjacent to Newark’s business district and steps away from the PATH Train Service to Manhattan. The hotel will also be at the heart of a growing sports and entertainment hub, including the newly opened 25,000 seat soccer stadium for the NY Red Bulls professional soccer team in Harrison, and the Prudential Center in Newark, home to the New Jersey Devils professional hockey team, college basketball, concerts, family shows and special events throughout the year. This hotel features 138 stylish guestrooms and 1,400 square feet of meeting space, as well all the brand’s signature amenities and services.
- Element Frankfurt Airport – (Frankfurt, Germany) – September 2014 – Marking the brand’s debut in Europe, Element Frankfurt Airport will offer a prime location in Gateway Gardens, a new mixed-use development at the doorstep of Europe’s third busiest air travel hub, near the global headquarters of companies such as Lufthansa, Condor and DB Schenker. Featuring 133 light-filled rooms, the hotel will provide easy access to sporting events at Commerzbank-Arena, cultural venues in the city centre as well as scenic spots in the region via bicycle trails.
- Element Hanover-Lebanon – (Hanover, New Hampshire) – October 2014 –The 120-room Element Hanover-Lebanon will be part of a new mixed-use complex conveniently located at the entrance of the Altaria Business Park. Just 20 minutes south of Hanover, the area is a popular destination for leaf-peepers and home to a variety of seasonal festivals, as well as three ski resorts and numerous cultural attractions including the Lebanon Opera House and Dartmouth College’s Hopkins Center.
- Element Fargo – (Fargo, North Dakota) – November 2014 – Element Fargo will offer 130 bright, stylish rooms and an atmosphere designed to fuel a life in balance and on the move. Located across the street from the Sanford Fargo Medical Center, the hotel is just ten minutes from Microsoft Corporation’s second largest campus in North America and convenient to Fargodome. Situated on the southeast corner of North Dakota, Fargo is part of the Fargo/Moorhead metropolitan area, which is experiencing rapid growth driven by the financial, software and energy sectors.
- Element Vancouver Metrotown – (Burnaby, British Columbia) – January 2015 – Element Vancouver Metrotown will be situated in Burnaby, B.C., the center of metro Vancouver, close to restaurants, schools, parks, a Skytrain Rapid Transit station, and Metropolis at Metrotown – British Columbia's largest shopping center. Featuring169 rooms and 5,500 square feet of meeting space, the hotel will be the tallest tower in Burnaby with picturesque views of Whistler, the North Shore Mountains and downtown Vancouver. It will be the second Element hotel in Canada, joining Element Vaughan Southwest.
- Element Bozeman – (Bozeman, Montana) – June 2015 – Located one block from Historic Main Street, Element Bozeman will be ideally situated at the center of the city’s entertainment district and a ten-minute walk to the campus of Montana State University. Just 15 minutes from Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport (BZN), the 104-room hotel will be close to Museum of the Rockies, Emerson Center for the Arts & Culture, the city’s business district and a variety of boutiques, art galleries, restaurants and night life. Celebrated for its outdoor lifestyle, Bozeman is a year-round tourist destination offering proximity to Yellowstone National Park and several world-class ski areas including Big Sky Resort.
- Element Miami Doral – (Doral, Florida) – July 2015 – Element Miami Doral will be part of a dual-brand hotel development, joining Aloft Miami Doral which opened in March 2013. The new Element hotel will provide 130 stylish and sustainable rooms, a 1,500 square foot meeting room, and easy access to premier shopping destinations including the Miami Free Zone, Dolphin & International Mall and Mall of the Americas. Also nearby are major visitor attractions such as Miami Zoo, Miami Sea Aquarium, the word-famous South Beach, several golf courses, and the restaurants and nightclubs of downtown Miami. Element Miami Doral will be the second Element hotel in greater Miami, joining Element Miami International Airport.
- Element Orlando North – (Orlando, Florida) – July 2015 – The brand’s third hotel in Florida, Element Orlando North will be part of the redevelopment of Orlando Fashion Square on Colonial Drive. Just 20 minutes from Universal Orlando Resort and less than 30 minutes from Walt Disney World Resort, the hotel will be across the street from Orlando Executive Airport and three miles from the central business district of downtown Orlando and the Amway Center. Also nearby are the upscale neighborhoods of Baldwin Park, Thornton Park, Audubon Park, College Park, Winter Park and the historic Mills & 50 District, as well as numerous golf courses.
- Element Suzhou Science and Technology Town – (Suzhou, China) – October 2015 – As the first ever Element hotel in Asia-Pacific, the milestone opening of Element Suzhou Science and Technology Town will make China the only market outside of North America where Starwood will operate all nine of its lifestyle brands. The new Element will be ideally located within Suzhou Science and Technology Town (SSTT), an eco-city in the heart of Suzhou National New & Hi-Tech Industrial Development Zone. Featuring 190 rooms and more than 10,000 square feet of meeting space, the hotel will be connected to all parts of the city, including the famed Taihu Lake and downtown Suzhou, with seamless access to the Sunan Shuofang International Airport.
- Element Boston Waterfront—(Boston, Massachusetts)—2016— Ideally situated on D Street, directly across the street from the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, the 180-room Element Boston Waterfront will be part of a dual-hotel development next to Aloft Boston Waterfront. The new Element will offer a fresh perspective on extended stay lodging, with light-filled studios featuring a fluid design, fully equipped kitchens and spa-inspired bathrooms. Facilities will include a fitness center, pool, and approximately 1,000 square feet of flexible meeting space.
Element Hotels offer light-filled studios as well as one bedroom suites with a fluid design of modular furniture, swiveling flat-screen televisions, large desks with open shelving and custom-designed closets. Element guest rooms also feature fully equipped kitchens and the signature Heavenly® Bed. Spa-inspired bathrooms are equipped with an invigorating rain shower and dual-flush toilet. Other brand signatures include fast and free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, a meeting room with modular furnishings, a flexible guest room layout and state-of-the-art technology that can be customized to meet any business or social needs. Guests can stay on the move with Element’s state-of-the-art, 24-hour fitness center, outdoor pool, and complimentary bikes-to-borrow and stay healthy and maintain balance with the signature RISE breakfast, RELAX evening reception, both complimentary, and salon bar carts stocked with premium wines and beers, soft drinks and snacks, available after hours.For more information, visit www.ElementHotels.com or connect on Facebook. About Element Hotels Element® Hotels is made to order for guests in the know and on the go. Its bright design defies convention, bathing guest rooms and public spaces in natural light. Stylish and sustainable throughout, Element offers extended stay comfort with a conscience and lots of signature amenities from its healthy RISE breakfast and RELAX evening reception to saline swimming pools, spacious fitness centers, bikes to borrow and electric vehicle charging stations. Starwood’s latest brand innovation, Element made history in 2008 as the only major hotel brand to pursue LEED certification for high-performance buildings brand-wide. To date, there are Element hotels in 11 markets in North America with new domestic and international hotels in development. Visit www.ElementHotels.com or connect on Facebook. About Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with nearly 1,200 properties in 100 countries, and 181,400 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, and Element®. The Company boasts one of the industry’s leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG®), allowing members to earn and redeem points for room stays, room upgrades and flights, with no blackout dates. Starwood also owns Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., a premier provider of world-class vacation experiences through villa-style resorts and privileged access to Starwood brands. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com.