Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 16 points (0.1%) at 16,738 as of Wednesday, June 4, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,467 issues advancing vs. 1,547 declining with 149 unchanged. The Basic Materials sector as a whole closed the day up 0.2% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.2%. Top gainers within the Basic Materials sector included Sinocoking Coal and Coke Chemicals ( SCOK), up 7.8%, Pacific Booker Minerals ( PBM), up 9.1%, Ossen Innovation ( OSN), up 3.1%, Alderon Iron Ore ( AXX), up 4.3% and Minco Gold ( MGH), up 1.6%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the sector higher today: Alderon Iron Ore ( AXX) is one of the companies that pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today. Alderon Iron Ore was up $0.05 (4.3%) to $1.29 on light volume. Throughout the day, 8,580 shares of Alderon Iron Ore exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 19,900 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $1.23-$1.33 after having opened the day at $1.25 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.24. Alderon Iron Ore has a market cap of $177.0 million and is part of the metals & mining industry. Shares are down 13.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on AXX go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Alderon Iron Ore Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- OSN's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 4.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 53.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, OSSEN INNOVATION CO LTD -ADR has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$7.97 million or 288.74% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has decreased by 8.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $1.30 million to $1.19 million.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.39, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, SCOK has a quick ratio of 2.19, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 37.8%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SINOCOKING COAL & COKE CHEM is rather low; currently it is at 17.94%. Regardless of SCOK's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.81% trails the industry average.
- SINOCOKING COAL & COKE CHEM has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, SINOCOKING COAL & COKE CHEM reported lower earnings of $0.05 versus $0.59 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 112.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.83 million to -$0.11 million.