- MTR GAMING GROUP INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, MTR GAMING GROUP INC reported poor results of -$0.33 versus -$0.20 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 690.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.79 million to -$6.21 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, MTR GAMING GROUP INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3655.97 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, MNTG has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 2.01, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- MNTG, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 6.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Leisure industry as a whole closed the day down 0.4% versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Laggards within the Leisure industry included Full House Resorts ( FLL), down 2.0%, Red Lion Hotels ( RLH), down 1.6%, MTR Gaming Group ( MNTG), down 1.7%, Lakes Entertainment ( LACO), down 4.7% and Cosi ( COSI), down 2.4%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today: MTR Gaming Group ( MNTG) is one of the companies that pushed the Leisure industry lower today. MTR Gaming Group was down $0.08 (1.7%) to $4.82 on light volume. Throughout the day, 2,905 shares of MTR Gaming Group exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 31,800 shares. The stock ranged in price between $4.79-$4.88 after having opened the day at $4.88 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $4.90. MTR Gaming Group, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates in racing, gaming, and entertainment businesses. MTR Gaming Group has a market cap of $138.8 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are down 5.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates MTR Gaming Group as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally high debt management risk. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on MNTG go as follows: