One Put, One Call Option To Know About for UnitedHealth Group

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is UnitedHealth Group Inc (UNH). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2016 expiration for UNH.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $45 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 75 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.7% return against the $45 commitment, or a 1% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost UNH Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to UNH's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless UnitedHealth Group Inc sees its shares fall 43.6% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $44.25 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 75 cents from $45), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 1% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2016 expiration, for shareholders of UnitedHealth Group Inc ( UNH) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.4% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $95 strike and collecting the premium based on the $2.96 bid, annualizes to an additional 2.3% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 3.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $95 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but UNH shares would have to climb 19% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 22.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost UNH Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for UnitedHealth Group Inc, highlighting in green where the $45 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $95 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for UnitedHealth Group Inc (considering the last 251 trading day UNH historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $79.63) to be 20%.

More from Stocks

Quick Read: 3 Things for Investors to Know Before Wednesday's Trading Session

Quick Read: 3 Things for Investors to Know Before Wednesday's Trading Session

Replay: Jim Cramer on the Markets, Oil, General Electric, Zillow and Micron

Replay: Jim Cramer on the Markets, Oil, General Electric, Zillow and Micron

Pegasystems Founder Explains Why He Has One of the Hottest Tech Stocks Around

Pegasystems Founder Explains Why He Has One of the Hottest Tech Stocks Around

Micron Shares Soar; Chipmaker Is 'Managing for Profitability' Now, Says Analyst

Micron Shares Soar; Chipmaker Is 'Managing for Profitability' Now, Says Analyst

Dow Slips 178 Points; S&P 500 and Nasdaq Also Decline

Dow Slips 178 Points; S&P 500 and Nasdaq Also Decline