One Put, One Call Option To Know About for McDonald's

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is McDonald's Corp ( MCD). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2016 expiration for MCD. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $87.50 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $3.35. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 3.8% return against the $87.50 commitment, or a 2.4% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MCD Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to MCD's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless McDonald's Corp sees its shares decline 14.6% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $84.15 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $3.35 from $87.50), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 2.4% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2016 expiration, for shareholders of McDonald's Corp ( MCD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.2% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $115 strike and collecting the premium based on the $2.38 bid, annualizes to an additional 1.4% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $115 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MCD shares would have to climb 12.3% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 14.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MCD Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for McDonald's Corp, highlighting in green where the $87.50 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $115 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for McDonald's Corp (considering the last 251 trading day MCD historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $102.44) to be 12%.

If you liked this article you might like

Citi Will Refund $335 Million in Card Charges: LIVE MARKETS BLOG

Citi Will Refund $335 Million in Card Charges: LIVE MARKETS BLOG

Markets Look to Close Week on Strong Note Friday, Build Off Thursday Momentum

Markets Look to Close Week on Strong Note Friday, Build Off Thursday Momentum

Chili's Owner Brinker International Offers a Real Value Menu

Chili's Owner Brinker International Offers a Real Value Menu

How the New CEO of Applebee's and IHOP Plans to Save Iconic Restaurant Chain

How the New CEO of Applebee's and IHOP Plans to Save Iconic Restaurant Chain

Brinker Looks Tasty Even After 7% Rally

Brinker Looks Tasty Even After 7% Rally