Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified National Oilwell Varco ( NOV) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified National Oilwell Varco as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NOV has 18x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 3.68 mentions/day.
- NOV has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $224.1 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NOV with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NOV NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on NOV: National Oilwell Varco, Inc. provides equipment and components for oil and gas drilling and production; oilfield services; and supply chain integration services to the upstream oil and gas industry worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.2%. NOV has a PE ratio of 14.6. Currently there are 11 analysts that rate National Oilwell Varco a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for National Oilwell Varco has been 3.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. National Oilwell Varco has a market cap of $35.2 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.09 and a short float of 2.4% with 3.85 days to cover. Shares are up 2.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates National Oilwell Varco as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in stock price during the past year, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- NOV's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.27, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO INC has improved earnings per share by 17.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO INC reported lower earnings of $5.43 versus $5.83 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.10 versus $5.43).
- You can view the full National Oilwell Varco Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.