The third annual telecommuting survey by Staples shows that telecommuting is increasingly attractive to employees – with 71 percent of telecommuters saying it’s an important benefit when considering a new job. Ten percent of respondents even say they would take a salary reduction to keep the telecommuting benefit – something for employers to take note of when recruiting. Achieving a better work/life balance ranks as the number one reason employees like telecommuting (74 percent) – up from number two last year. Transportation savings (69 percent) and green benefits (47 percent) are also cited as top reasons. Employees also cite reduced stress as a major telecommuting benefit (69 percent) – up significantly from 48 percent in 2013. In fact, an overwhelming majority of employees (88 percent) believe telecommuting is a win-win for both them and their company – and employers agree:
- 65 percent of employers who allow their workers to telecommute report happier employees.
- 33 percent of employers report less absenteeism in the workforce when telecommuting is allowed.
- Only 25 percent of employees have been trained on data backup/security best practices.
- Sixty-four percent of employees name a poor VPN connection as their biggest tech challenge when working from home.
- Fifty-eight percent of employers report that their telecommuters have connectivity problems several times per month or more.
- Only ten percent of employers offer furniture services to new telecommuters.
- Equipping the Workforce – With IT connectivity issues a main concern, telecommuting programs should ensure easy access to email, document sharing, instant messaging and video conferencing. Providing remote VPN capabilities to telecommuters is also important for easy network access.
- Employee Actions – Having employees set up lock screens is one simple step businesses can take.
- Implementing Security Measures – Encrypting device-side data by adding another layer of protection is important in the event an attacker manages to bypass a lock screen or finds a backdoor.
- Furnishing Office Spaces Appropriately – It’s important to consider furniture options in telecommuting programs, from ergonomic furniture to items like desk and drawer organizers. This will help telecommuters make their home offices more productive. In addition, more and more offices are designed with telecommuting in mind. In Staples’ Workplace of the Future Design Competition, many of the finalists focused on layouts and furniture options that accommodate a more mobile workforce who telecommutes occasionally, providing open spaces that allow people to move throughout an office based on their work needs.
About StaplesStaples makes it easy to make more happen with more products and more ways to shop. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples lets customers shop however and whenever they want, whether it’s in-store, online or on mobile devices. Staples offers more products than ever, such as technology, facilities and breakroom supplies, furniture, safety supplies, medical supplies, and Copy and Print services. Staples also offers free shipping for Staples Rewards Members, in most cases overnight. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples operates throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. More information about Staples (SPLS) is available at www.staples.com. About Staples Advantage Staples Advantage, the business-to-business division of Staples, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPLS), serves organizations of 20 or more employees up to the Fortune 1000, helping them make more happen with more products, greater cost savings and improved ordering efficiencies. Staples Advantage provides its customers, including global businesses, local, state and federal government, healthcare organizations and educational institutions, with a one source solution featuring comprehensive products and services like office supplies, technology, printing, promotional products, furniture and facility supplies, along with a customized level of account support and best-in-class customer service. More information is available at www.staplesadvantage.com.