Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Triangle Capital Corporation (NYSE: TCAP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.30%. Triangle Capital Corporation is a business development company specializing in private equity and mezzanine investments. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.87. The average volume for Triangle Capital Corporation has been 243,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Triangle Capital Corporation has a market cap of $721.9 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 5.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Triangle Capital Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 79.01%. Regardless of TCAP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TCAP's net profit margin of 52.00% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 5.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP's earnings per share declined by 32.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.94 versus $2.23 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 27.2% in earnings ($2.14 versus $2.94).
- The share price of TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP has not done very well: it is down 11.35% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- You can view the full Triangle Capital Corporation Ratings Report.
- ARI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 16.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for APOLLO COMMERCIAL RE FIN INC is currently very high, coming in at 81.06%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 83.08% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income increased by 47.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $11.93 million to $17.58 million.
- APOLLO COMMERCIAL RE FIN INC has improved earnings per share by 27.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, APOLLO COMMERCIAL RE FIN INC reported lower earnings of $1.26 versus $1.68 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.60 versus $1.26).
- You can view the full Apollo Commercial Real Estate Finance Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- SBR has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 5.28, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- SABINE ROYALTY TRUST has improved earnings per share by 20.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, SABINE ROYALTY TRUST increased its bottom line by earning $4.03 versus $3.59 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 20.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $11.45 million to $13.74 million.
- The gross profit margin for SABINE ROYALTY TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. SBR has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SBR's net profit margin of 96.95% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full Sabine Royalty Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.