Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Drugs industry as a whole closed the day up 1.1% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.1%. Laggards within the Drugs industry included Merus Labs International ( MSLI), down 4.6%, EntreMed ( ENMD), down 1.6%, Can Fite Biofarma ( CANF), down 3.4%, NephroGenex ( NRX), down 2.9% and Chembio Diagnostics ( CEMI), down 1.6%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today: Can Fite Biofarma ( CANF) is one of the companies that pushed the Drugs industry lower today. Can Fite Biofarma was down $0.14 (3.4%) to $4.02 on average volume. Throughout the day, 29,442 shares of Can Fite Biofarma exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 21,000 shares. The stock ranged in price between $4.00-$4.15 after having opened the day at $4.13 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $4.16. Can Fite Biofarma has a market cap of $31.2 million and is part of the health care sector. Shares are down 33.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Can Fite Biofarma a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- The gross profit margin for MERUS LABS INTERNATIONAL INC is currently very high, coming in at 81.88%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MSLI's net profit margin of -21.74% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- MERUS LABS INTERNATIONAL INC has improved earnings per share by 42.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. During the past fiscal year, MERUS LABS INTERNATIONAL INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.06 versus -$0.70 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Pharmaceuticals industry average. The net income increased by 36.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$2.30 million to -$1.46 million.
- This stock has increased by 121.86% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in MSLI do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.