- UG's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for UNITED-GUARDIAN INC is rather high; currently it is at 63.80%. Regardless of UG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, UG's net profit margin of 33.74% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, UG's share price has jumped by 27.00%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- UNITED-GUARDIAN INC's earnings per share declined by 14.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, UNITED-GUARDIAN INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.28 versus $1.05 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Personal Products industry. The net income has decreased by 14.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $1.57 million to $1.34 million.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 66 points (0.4%) at 16,609 as of Friday, May 23, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,917 issues advancing vs. 1,047 declining with 178 unchanged. The Consumer Non-Durables industry as a whole closed the day up 0.8% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.4%. Top gainers within the Consumer Non-Durables industry included Ocean Bio-Chem ( OBCI), up 8.2%, Exceed ( EDS), up 1.9%, Forward Industries ( FORD), up 2.2%, Northern Technologies International ( NTIC), up 2.4% and United-Guardian ( UG), up 1.6%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: United-Guardian ( UG) is one of the companies that pushed the Consumer Non-Durables industry higher today. United-Guardian was up $0.54 (1.6%) to $34.02 on light volume. Throughout the day, 1,912 shares of United-Guardian exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3,300 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $33.76-$34.30 after having opened the day at $33.76 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $33.48. United-Guardian, Inc. researches, develops, manufactures, and markets cosmetic ingredients, personal care products, pharmaceuticals, medical and health care products, and specialty industrial products in the United States, Canada, China, France, and internationally. United-Guardian has a market cap of $153.9 million and is part of the consumer goods sector. Shares are up 18.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are no analysts who rate United-Guardian a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates United-Guardian as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on UG go as follows: