Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Saia ( SAIA) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Saia as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SAIA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $9.3 million.
- SAIA has traded 4,834 shares today.
- SAIA is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SAIA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SAIA NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SAIA: Saia, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as a transportation company in the United States. It provides regional and interregional less-than-truckload, truckload, guaranteed, expedited, and logistics services. The company offers solutions for shipments between 100 and 10,000 pounds. SAIA has a PE ratio of 24.7. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Saia a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Saia has been 228,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. Saia has a market cap of $1.0 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 1.35 and a short float of 3.3% with 3.77 days to cover. Shares are up 35.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Saia as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SAIA's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- SAIA's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.25 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.92 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, SAIA's share price has jumped by 33.71%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- SAIA INC's earnings per share declined by 7.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SAIA INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.74 versus $1.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.19 versus $1.74).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Road & Rail industry and the overall market, SAIA INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Saia Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.