Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices are trading down today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading down 127.73 points (-0.8%) at 16,384 as of Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 774 issues advancing vs. 2,216 declining with 147 unchanged. The Media industry as a whole closed the day down 1.0% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.5%. Top gainers within the Media industry included Insignia Systems ( ISIG), up 2.4%, Lee ( LEE), up 4.2%, Bona Film Group ( BONA), up 1.6%, Rocket Fuel ( FUEL), up 3.4% and Netflix ( NFLX), up 2.0%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Rocket Fuel ( FUEL) is one of the companies that pushed the Media industry higher today. Rocket Fuel was up $0.79 (3.4%) to $23.84 on light volume. Throughout the day, 582,721 shares of Rocket Fuel exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 933,200 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $22.86-$23.95 after having opened the day at $23.16 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $23.05. Rocket Fuel has a market cap of $775.8 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are down 64.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on FUEL go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Rocket Fuel Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- BONA FILM GROUP LTD -ADR reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, BONA FILM GROUP LTD -ADR turned its bottom line around by earning $0.10 versus -$0.02 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.19 versus $0.10).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 107.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$5.36 million to $0.42 million.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. We feel that the combination of its price rise over the last year and its current price-to-earnings ratio relative to its industry tend to reduce its upside potential.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 14.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 19.6%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Media industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, BONA FILM GROUP LTD -ADR underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.