NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Caterpillar (CAT) shares are down -1.5% to $103.79 on Wednesday following the release of disappointing sales figures for the three months ending in April.
The company reported total international sales down -13% and April Asia sales down -25% from the same month last year.
North American sales on the other hand climbed in each of the previous three months, up 2% in February, 6% in March and 12% in April.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
TheStreet Ratings team rates CATERPILLAR INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CATERPILLAR INC (CAT) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, good cash flow from operations, growth in earnings per share and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- CAT's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The stock has not only risen over the past year, it has done so at a faster pace than the S&P 500, reflecting the earnings growth and other positive factors similar to those we have cited here. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,897.00 million or 33.21% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -4.00%.
- CATERPILLAR INC has improved earnings per share by 9.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CATERPILLAR INC reported lower earnings of $5.75 versus $8.49 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.20 versus $5.75).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Machinery industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 4.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $880.00 million to $922.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CAT Ratings Report