- CHINA HOUSING & LAND DEV INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, CHINA HOUSING & LAND DEV INC reported lower earnings of $0.34 versus $0.56 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Management & Development industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 126.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $2.87 million to -$0.77 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.45 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Management & Development industry and the overall market, CHINA HOUSING & LAND DEV INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$30.61 million or 5758.78% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 27 points (0.2%) at 16,518 as of Monday, May 19, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,874 issues advancing vs. 1,111 declining with 157 unchanged. The Real Estate industry as a whole closed the day up 0.1% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.4%. Top gainers within the Real Estate industry included Optibase ( OBAS), up 3.6%, IFM Investments ( CTC), up 3.6%, HMG/Courtland Properties ( HMG), up 2.5%, Amrep ( AXR), up 1.7% and China Housing & Land Development ( CHLN), up 2.3%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: China Housing & Land Development ( CHLN) is one of the companies that pushed the Real Estate industry higher today. China Housing & Land Development was up $0.05 (2.3%) to $2.21 on light volume. Throughout the day, 26,027 shares of China Housing & Land Development exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 48,800 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $2.12-$2.21 after having opened the day at $2.12 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $2.16. China Housing & Land Development, Inc., through its subsidiaries, engages in the acquisition, development, management, and sale of commercial and residential real estate properties primarily in Xi'an, the People's Republic of China. China Housing & Land Development has a market cap of $73.5 million and is part of the financial sector. Shares are down 6.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are no analysts who rate China Housing & Land Development a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates China Housing & Land Development as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on CHLN go as follows: