Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 27 points (0.2%) at 16,518 as of Monday, May 19, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,874 issues advancing vs. 1,111 declining with 157 unchanged. The Metals & Mining industry as a whole closed the day up 0.2% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.4%. Top gainers within the Metals & Mining industry included Ossen Innovation ( OSN), up 4.8%, Alderon Iron Ore ( AXX), up 3.6%, Solitario Exploration & Royalty ( XPL), up 1.8%, Grupo Simec S.A.B. de C.V ( SIM), up 2.2% and Vista Gold ( VGZ), up 2.3%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Solitario Exploration & Royalty ( XPL) is one of the companies that pushed the Metals & Mining industry higher today. Solitario Exploration & Royalty was up $0.02 (1.8%) to $1.12 on average volume. Throughout the day, 65,999 shares of Solitario Exploration & Royalty exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 85,600 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $1.07-$1.12 after having opened the day at $1.08 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.10. Solitario Exploration & Royalty Corp., a development stage company, acquires and explores for precious and base metal properties in Peru, Brazil, and Mexico. It primarily explores for gold, silver, platinum, palladium, copper, lead, and zinc metals. Solitario Exploration & Royalty has a market cap of $41.6 million and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are up 24.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Solitario Exploration & Royalty a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Solitario Exploration & Royalty as a sell. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been a generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on XPL go as follows:
- XPL has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 7.02% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 52.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$0.88 million to -$0.42 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, SOLITARIO EXPLORATION & RLTY's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Along with the stagnant revenue growth, the company underperformed against the industry average of 5.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues have remained constant. The stagnant revenue growth has not kept the company from increasing earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.49, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 2.93 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, OSSEN INNOVATION CO LTD -ADR has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 126.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.74 million to $1.68 million.
- The gross profit margin for OSSEN INNOVATION CO LTD -ADR is currently extremely low, coming in at 12.87%. Regardless of OSN's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, OSN's net profit margin of 5.06% is significantly lower than the industry average.