Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 27 points (0.2%) at 16,518 as of Monday, May 19, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,874 issues advancing vs. 1,111 declining with 157 unchanged. The Materials & Construction industry as a whole closed the day up 0.5% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.4%. Top gainers within the Materials & Construction industry included Guanwei Recycling ( GPRC), up 2.9%, Skyline ( SKY), up 2.3%, Perma-Fix Environmental Services ( PESI), up 3.6%, Abengoa ( ABGB), up 3.7% and Pure Cycle ( PCYO), up 4.3%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Abengoa ( ABGB) is one of the companies that pushed the Materials & Construction industry higher today. Abengoa was up $0.73 (3.7%) to $20.59 on average volume. Throughout the day, 22,087 shares of Abengoa exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 17,700 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $19.93-$20.70 after having opened the day at $19.93 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $19.86. Abengoa has a market cap of $3.5 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are up 31.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on ABGB go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Abengoa Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Services & Supplies industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 4857.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.63 million to -$31.38 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Services & Supplies industry and the overall market, PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS is rather low; currently it is at 16.71%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -246.53% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS reported poor results of -$3.03 versus -$0.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.35 versus -$3.03).
- PESI, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 3.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 52.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- GPRC has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 7.54, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- GPRC, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 3.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 11.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Services & Supplies industry and the overall market, GUANWEI RECYCLING CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.