Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 27 points (0.2%) at 16,518 as of Monday, May 19, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,874 issues advancing vs. 1,111 declining with 157 unchanged. The Chemicals industry as a whole closed the day up 0.5% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.4%. Top gainers within the Chemicals industry included Flexible Solutions International ( FSI), up 2.9%, Methes Energies International ( MEIL), up 2.5%, Gulf Resources ( GURE), up 4.8%, Taminco ( TAM), up 2.2% and Senomyx ( SNMX), up 11.0%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Taminco ( TAM) is one of the companies that pushed the Chemicals industry higher today. Taminco was up $0.45 (2.2%) to $20.45 on light volume. Throughout the day, 23,858 shares of Taminco exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 107,000 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $19.88-$20.77 after having opened the day at $19.91 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $20.00. Taminco has a market cap of $1.3 billion and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are down 1.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on TAM go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Taminco Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 11.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 36.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- GURE's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 13.51, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- GULF RESOURCES INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. During the past fiscal year, GULF RESOURCES INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.54 versus $0.43 in the prior year.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market, GULF RESOURCES INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $8.76 million or 37.51% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 340.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.07 million to -$0.16 million.
- FLEXIBLE SOLUTIONS INTL INC's earnings have gone downhill when comparing its most recently reported quarter with the same quarter a year earlier. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FLEXIBLE SOLUTIONS INTL INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.14 versus -$0.08 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 92.8% in earnings ($0.01 versus $0.14).
- This stock's share value has moved by only 36.19% over the past year. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- FSI, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 11.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 15.4%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.